Friday, November 9, 2007

Day 4 and Do-Overs

It's been a day of do-overs. We just had a heat-exchange ventilation system installed, and poor communication from the person who did the specifications for the system to the guy actually doing the installing meant the installer had to redo several parts of the job. Fortunately, he gets paid by the hour, and we were paying a fixed bid, so the only people hurting from this transaction are probably the ones who slipped up on the communications in the first place. Also fortunately, it is now done!

As in home improvements, so in knitting. The sock was a little too short for my foot, especially with some expected shrinkage in washing, so I frogged the heel and did it over. I made some improvements in the process -- there were two places where I took out sections of yarn to get the stripes the way I wanted, and this time around I spit-spliced the yarn instead of leaving ends to weave in. Now, if only I were paid by the hour! I'll post a photo when there's more to see. Now it fits like a slightly-loose dream, which should snug up after a wash or two.

(Here's a nice explanation by Morcatknits of how to spit-splice. Oops, Morcat says not to do this with superwash wool... Well, it seemed quite strong when I did a test pull on it, so we'll see. Perhaps this will be yet another learning experience for me.)

FlyLady's mission for Day 4 of the Beginner BabySteps is to write my routines so far on sticky notes and stick them on my bathroom mirror and above my kitchen sink as reminders.



Check. (Sorry about the blurry.)

I've done a couple of five-minute room rescues, one each day, to cut the clutter in my living room and kitchen. It's exhilarating how much improvement can be made in five minutes, and when the timer beeps, it leaves me wanting to do more! But I'm already ahead of schedule doing these at all, so I'm restraining myself. I figure wanting more is way better than feeling burned out.

No comments: