Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Counting Down, and Some Real In-Utero Interaction!

I just read an article on BabyCenter about "mamakus," six-word memoirs of motherhood. How about this:

Baby coming -- packing -- oops, more laundry.

Today is a laundry day, and much of it is baby stuff I've dragged out of storage, purchased, or gotten back from those who had borrowed it. Washfest. I got DH to put together the changing table (please understand -- I'm a perfectly handy person myself, but everything is twice as hard with this monster belly, so I get help where I can), so I have a place to store some of the mountain of baby wash that's already done. More exciting is the first wash for the Menschkin baby blanket, which I finally finished! Pictures when it's washed and blocked. Maybe a pattern later on -- I invented a nice border.

Now, anybody want to start a pool on what day I will actually pack my suitcase for the hospital, now that I have 3.5 weeks to go to my due date? This is proving difficult to start. At least now I have a list, having compared a couple of lists of suggestions on what to pack. Maybe today, after my things are clean, it will be easier to get it done. But I have a knitting circle at my place tonight, so maybe tomorrow...

The real excitement lately was a bit of honest-to-goodness, two-way interaction with DS-on-the-way last night. He was doing his usual stretches, pushing a foot waaaay out on my right side while I lay on my left. I decided to see if I could feel the shape of the foot or which way the toes were pointing. Not only could I feel those things, but he seemed to enjoy the little foot massage! Normally he pulls his foot back in after a couple of seconds, but when I was rubbing in little circles to check out his foot, he left it pushed out for 30 seconds or more.

There are lots of ways a pregnant mom can communicate TO her baby-inside. There are a few ways the baby-inside can communicate to the mom. But this is the first example I can remember of a two-way interaction where I was pretty sure I knew what was going on. Loud music and he kicks? I can't really tell if that's enjoyment or distress. But this seemed much clearer. I just lay there with a big grin on my face, rubbing that little foot, until he got tired of the game and went back to sleep. I wonder if he'll enjoy foot massages after he comes out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Through the magic of Ravelry, i found your blog-site and wanted to wish you well... Jean (from spinning). The foot massage story is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Do you still want me to wash fleece for you? I'm happy to get it out of your way for awhile, and when you are ready to have it back it will be sparkling clean :)

I'm thinking my best thoughts for you and the baby.

-the redhead-