Wednesday, April 9, 2008

FOs: Shining Violet Sweater, Menschkin Baby Blanket

Long time no blog! I've been busily preparing for DS's arrival (due any day now), getting our taxes done, and so on. But part of the preparation has been finishing some knitted items!

For DS, there's the Menschkin Baby Blanket. This is an original pattern -- I unvented the border and hope to post a pattern for it sometime soon. It took a lot of experimentation to get it to lie flat (neither folding over nor puckering) and have no holes to snag tiny fingers. The corners are a little hit-and-miss depending on what I tried at each, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Here's the whole blanket after a wash and light block:



And here's a close-up of my favorite corner:



You can see the miters, which I did using k1-through-front-and-back to give the blanket a bit more texture. I used that a lot in the border, too. The yarn for this project is KnitPicks' Swish Superwash (100% superwash wool) in worsted weight. I love how soft it knitted up and how nicely it washed (front loader, in large lingerie bag, dried flat). So DS will have something nice and snuggly to bundle up in when he chooses to make his appearance!

I wanted DD to have something new, too, so I finished up her Shining Violet sweater, in KnitPicks' Shine Sport (cotton/modal blend), color violet. Here's the whole thing after a wash and block - it got kind of creased in the washing-machine spin cycle, and since I didn't put it in the dryer (though that is okay for this yarn), it stayed a little creased.



And here's a detail of the dear little strawberry buttons DD helped me pick out for it:



The details of how to make this sweater are aggregated in a past post, here, in case you'd like to try it out. DD hasn't let me photograph her in it yet, but she loves to wear it. It fits her slim 4T-or-so body great with either nothing or a small shirt underneath. I tried for more growing room, but it didn't work out that way.

That's all for now -- perhaps more soul-searching text on motherhood another time, but for now, actual motherhood calls, as DD is up from her nap. Ta ta...

No comments: