Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Handspun Monster Emerges, and Knitting Meditation

Last night I plied, washed, snapped, and dried (with light blocking) my first skein of handspun. I spun this on a spindle (here's the entry with a picture of the singles on the spindle) and plied it on a wheel. We haven't had our plying lesson in the spinning class yet, so my teacher gets none of the blame for this. Here you go:




This is about 1.25 ounces of Lincoln fleece (an award-winning fleece!), hand-carded and spun in the grease, and apparently severely overplied (2-ply). The light blocking? Yeah, without that, even after the hot water wash and snapping, the yarn twisted completely up on itself. I'm not sure if blocking buys me any balance long-term. Something to find out, I suppose!

I'm spinning some dark-brown Corriedale under the same conditions, though probably by the time I ply it, I will have learned a bit more about plying. I hope to make something out of both these "first yarns" that will be some kind of fun. Maybe a striped purse for my daughter. The Lincoln, at least, is too scratchy to want to wear near the skin.

In the meantime, I spun another hour and a half or so today on the wheel, and I'm starting to get the hang of long-draw spinning, sort of. At the end of every rolag, I end up with a ring of fiber and assorted lumps that weren't there to begin with. Hmph. That will be a good question for class.

In current knitting, Thursday I cast on a Baby Yoda Sweater (pattern by Cari Luna). So far the Toasty Toes is not living up to my hopes in terms of how the colors work together, and the dye is getting on my fingers, which I hope doesn't bode ill for washability. Here's what I have so far:



The colors, though kind of muddy when all knitted up together, are much richer than I was able to capture in a photograph.

I'll keep going and see how things shape up. It's not a project that should take a long time, so the risk is low. And I'm using the knitting as a meditation for my mom, who went through back surgery on Friday and is in the painful part of her immediate recovery. Since she's hoping to visit the grandson this jacket is for (my son, due in April) when he's born, and this should be near the end of her period of activity restrictions during her recovery, it seems like the right kind of project for such meditations.

No comments: