Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Moving Right Along

Are we having fun yet?



Yep. These slipper socks are almost done -- I'm going to put some 1" elastic in the tops and fold the yellow bit to the inside, sewing to form a casing. Then I might need to deal somehow with the fact that the slippers are more than an inch too long for DD's feet. She enjoyed wearing them around the house today anyway. Maybe it's not such an issue. But suggestions are welcome!

Further knitting pictures may have to wait a bit, at least as long as my current project remains a surprise to the intended recipient. Suffice it to say that it's made from Cascade 220 wool. Lots of it. From a pattern I found on Ravelry. (My invitation arrived today! Callooh, callay! They really made it through the 3000 or so people ahead of me on the waiting list quickly!) And I'm taking the opportunity to learn to knit Continental-style. I think I'm already faster than I was on a typical "throwing" day. I'm craving colorwork, you see, maybe some Selbuvotter mittens, and I like to do fair-isle knitting with one color in each hand. It helps if I can do that without my left hand going all crampy, and today all was good.

Early Openers
Today is Day 22 of my FlyLady quest to incorporate sanity into the upkeep of my house. So far, so good. I really like the pacing of the BabySteps -- they don't add a new daily chore every day. Those are spaced out nicely with reading essays and just learning things, so the whole deal doesn't feel like an exponential increase in work. Recently one of the essays sent on the FlyLady list pointed out that a lot of housework chores feel like they're going to take forever. Yeah, what she said. Often that thing I'm procrastinating on for an hour takes all of, oh, seven minutes to finish once I actually do it. Remembering that, plus remembering to ask myself why I'm doing this, has been great.

I went away for this past weekend, and something novel happened. When I got back, the house was orderly. And this time it wasn't DH, obsessively cleaning while alone in the house. All the human inhabitants were with me in the mountains. It was me, just doing those daily basic routines before I left, that meant I didn't have a pile of dishes, or major detritus from laundry or packing, greeting me when I got home. It felt like an early Christmas present. Wahoo!

No comments: